What? Did you say 'my in-laws' ?
Thursday, July 17, 2008
And everytime anybody who just got to know me asked that, I would shoot them back with two questions.
"Are you asking me if I'm married or if I'm living with my in-laws?"
You see, most of my colleagues were surprised to know that I am married. Not sure why though. Maybe its the age? And when I told them that my hubby is 29, they would go, "Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh." *lol*
What i don't understand however was the reactions i received when I told them that i am currently staying with my in-laws. Most of the time, they would give me the Oh-no-you-must-be-kidding-me look. Maybe the Ibu Mertuaku P Ramlee show managed to leave an ugly impression on some of these Malays but I can't say the same to the Chinese and Indians right? So I guess, this fear of staying-with-the-mother-in-law is a universal thing.
For me, my m-i-l is cool. Not in the sense of she being okay seeing me parade at home in my tube and hot-pants (this i haven't really try though but i think she knew i wear those to sleep), but she is "cool" in a way that she makes me feel comfortable enough to do what I want at home without having to stay in my room. To add to that, she is a good cook. Plus, she packed me lunch every single day. And its not like bread with butter lunch, but rice with meat/fish and vegetables. Even Beloved din't get that for his lunch.
I must say, it wasn't easy being in another place with another family. But the transition state for me was over. It has to be over, right? Although I have to admit I still feel so conscious of myself that I asked questions like "Am I watching too much of TV?" or "Should I do more housework?" or "Do I look like a lazy daughter-in-law?". Haha, yeah, I could scare myself so much at times.
I believe that being able to give and take is the key. I don't want to end up being a maid in the house, but neither does my m-i-l, kan? So usually, I would just help around, and make the effort to help more during the weekends. And of course not, we didn't come up with a duty roster or such. (that will definitely makes me wanna go back to my mom's place right?) It has been a mutual agreement. A silent one. :P
There will always be some time that I do feel sluggish and drags the idea of doing housework especially if I am tired due to school work or activities. And when that happens, you don't wanna know what I'll always do. Let me just say, its behind close doors. hoho
But seriously, usually, i would quickly get the work over and done with, so I won't feel the guilt. I detest having to feel guilty. Its like constipation lah. U know, pain in the ass. Besides the fact that to me, seeing a messy surrounding is an eyesore. This, i have to blame it on my dad. Him and his everything-has-to-be-centre-and-equal theory. urgh.
